Thursday, May 28, 2009

Painting Update

Unfortunately, I won't be coming even close to my projected painting output for this month. The disappointment is tempered somewhat by the fact that I've been spending some of my painting time cleaning up various lingering little projects. Things like finishing basing, putting on flags etc always seems to take a back seat. Last night I finished the basing on a new Carlist Wars unit, this time Cristino foot artillery.

Cristino foot artillery (figures from the Perry Miniatures)

These figures are a joy to paint for a variety of reasons, not least of which is that I only needed to paint four of them. This is in contrast to a normal horse and musket unit of 8-16 figures. Because I only had four to paint (five, if you count the gun), I decided to take a bit more time and try some rudimentary layering, especially on the blue of the coats and trousers.

I was also able last night to put some flags on my new Napoleonic Spanish cavalry. Although I haven't finished the basing on these, they do qualify as finished items in the painting points game (cuz I makes da rules).

Villaviciosa dragoons, figures from Front Rank.

These two cavalry regiments will make up half of my Spanish army. I planned this force as an adjunct to my British Peninsular army. It will have, when finished, a brigade of infantry with four battalions and one foot artillery battery (pulled by oxen!) and a brigade of cavalry with four regiments. I've always wanted to build a Spanish force, mainly because of the very colourful uniforms that are more 18th century than 19th. There is also the added bonus of gaming with a no-lose army. Everyone acknowledges that the Spanish was one of the most abysmal armies in the Napoleonic Wars (challenging the Neapolitans for bottom place) and thus if I lose a game with a Spanish force it would be expected. If I win, however, I look brilliant! A no-lose situation!

Reina heavy cavalry, figures from Front Rank.

This last unit of Reina heavy cavalry is the one that has bogged down my painting schedule. As can be seen, there is nothing particularly complicated or difficult about this uniform and yet I estimate it took me twice as long to paint as the Villivicosa dragoons. With both units, I've decided (as I have with most of my Napoleonic collection) to use over-sized standards. Many years ago, I took my lead on this from the League of Augsburg. Flags are one of the most eye-catching items on any gaming table and making them up to 40% larger makes them up to 40% more attractive. Check out the League of Augsburg's very cool website here. Next up in the painting queue, two batteries of Austrian Napoleonic artillery along with Archduke Charles and some underlings.

No comments:

Post a Comment