Thursday, March 26, 2020

Frontier Cabin

Having a fair few distressed wooden planks left over from my fort build (link), I decided to try my hand at a frontier cabin. This was partly inspired by various 4Ground offerings but I wanted a something a little more ragged (and I didn't feel like waiting for a delivery) so I dug into my drawers of bits and bobs to throw something together.




The cabin itself has a foam-core ... um... core and is clad with distressed coffee sticks, cut to length. The chimney is carved from blue foam and inscribed with a pencil tip. The roof is clad with Warbases shingles and the entire structure suitably dry-brushed and washed with various colours to give a weathered grey-brown appearance.

The wood shed is, I believe, a Sarissa modern bicycle shed, distressed and weathered (from whence it came, I have no memory). The split logs are simply 1/4" skewers cut to length and "split" with wire cutters to provide the rough cut effect.

The stone well is an old resin piece from who knows where and covered with a balsa cover. The figures are from Front Rank and meant to be used with my War of 1812 collection. For the French & Indian War, I'll need some suitable frontier folk. I'm also considering adding a small vegetable garden and a pig sty.

1 comment: