Thursday, February 20, 2020

War of 1812: The Fox Inn

While at Fall In! 2019, Michael and I came upon the Things From the Basement booth. This small operation started out with a FaceBook page and I had greatly admired the products. Thus it was a pleasant surprise to find them at the convention and to see the products in the flesh. I was particularly taken with the Captain William Smith House, an historic 18th century building from Massachusetts. I thought it would serve brilliantly as an inn or public house in our Chesapeake 1814 campaign. I decided to copy the paint scheme on the TftB website (apparently, true to history), mainly because it would be rather unique in my building collection. I also added a scratchbuilt pub sign out of bits and bobs that could be used for any appropriate building. 

The Fox Inn
My regular process of sanding down sharp corners was followed (and painting windows and trim separately). I took a hint from My Brave Fusiliers blog (thanks Mark!) and stained the main portion of the building (after a thorough sanding of all surfaces to ensure the stain would adhere properly).

Roof tiles are from Warbases and figures from Front Rank..

Thanks to the interwebs for having various 18th century pub signs available (copy-print-glue).


1 comment: