Sunday, March 20, 2022

Texas War of Independence: project finished

I have powered through the final tranche of figures for this project. It's always the last bits that see my enthusiasm flagging. This final lot brings the collection total to 296 figures and far too many buildings.

Mexican regular cavalry.
(Boothill Miniatures)

Mexican Presidial cavalry (Boothill Miniatures).
I decided with this collection to differentiate between Scouting Cavalry and Dragoons/Impact Cavalry. The Regular cavalry is mounted on standard 25mm x 50mm pill bases. In contrast, the Presidial cavalry are mounted on various round and pill bases.

John Wayne... err, David Crockett, 
for when we want to throw a Hollywood Hero into Fisticuffs.
(Boothill Miniatures)

Native Tejano skirmishers (native Texans, mainly of Spanish origin).
(Boothill Miniatures)

More Texian artillery and a Texian Deployment Point.

Tejano/Texian irregular cavalry.
(Boothill Miniatures)

Monday, January 31, 2022

Texas War of Independence: building a battlefield

This past weekend at Casa Bairos, we were able to try out the new TWI buildings and marketplace (unfortunately, no pictures of the actual game)...


Tuesday, January 25, 2022

Texas War of Independence: village/town additions

 And so the TWI building project continues...

Taking advantage of bulk purchases from Renedra, I decided to add some buildings to the collection that will not be part of the pseudo-Alamo mission complex.

The basic Renedra adobe house... a lovely little build.

The same building with a (portable) scratch-built sun shade for whiling away sunny siesta afternoons.

The basic adobe building without the side stairs and ladder in lieu.

A mash-up of two of the basic buildings with small fenced courtyard.

Another scratch-built portable sun-shade for the courtyard.

Another option for the sun-shade.

The full collection of sun-shades.

I also knocked up some small fence pieces to contain the longhorns.

Monday, January 3, 2022

Texas War of Independence: On a Mission

 My efforts in the last week of 2021 to complete my pseudo-Alamo mission unfortunately came to naught but I was finally able to bring it around on the New Years weekend. I struggled mightily with some of the details, particularly the wooden parts in the redoubts etc. Although I've painted many wooden terrain features to satisfaction over the years, this time around I became rather flummoxed by the attempt. So much so that at one point I re-primed the wood and started over. My first attempts were frustrated by stubbornness. As I continued to make mistakes, I tried to push forward and correct them... leading merely to a worse situation. Thus, the starting over. Even after the second attempt was much better, they still aren't to my full satisfaction but will do (in other words, I'm not gonna start again for the third time). 

I chose not to purchase the entire Sarissa Alamo (cuz that would be just silly, no?) and landed on what I call my pseudo-Alamo. It's big enough to play out some mission siege games and flexible enough to create a number of smaller, more discrete built up areas for different scenarios. Next up for this project are some scatter terrain bits and portable firing steps for the higher walls.

The full mission compound from Sarissa. It measures approx. 2.5' x 2.5'.

Adding in the Sarissa church to fill the courtyard.

Saturday, December 25, 2021

Texas War of Independence: project update

 The TWI project has been chugging along the last couple of months with some new added units...

Mexican Permanente infantry.
Artizan Designs.

Mexican Presidial troopers.
Boothill Miniatures.

Mexican artillery.
Boothill Miniatures.

Texian artillery.
Boothill Miniatures.

Mexican civilians.
Boothill Miniatures. 

Texian Deployment Point.
Boothill Miniatures.

Mexican Deployment Point.
Boothill Miniatures.

Mexican cavalry Deployment Point.
Boothill Miniatures.

Mexican cazadores Deployment Point.
Boothill Miniatures. 

Texian Deployment Point.
Boothill Miniatures.

The first of many buildings, Sarissa Mexican church.

3d printed cacti.

The full Mexican force to date.

Monday, November 1, 2021

TWI: Mexican Permanente cavalry (dismounted)

I'm continuing to plug away at the TWI project with a small addition of one group, a Big Man, and a Deployment Point (using the spare figures)...

Mexican Permanente cavalry.
Boot Hill Miniatures.

Next up, more Mexican regular infantry, this using Artizan Design figures...

Monday, October 18, 2021

Texas War of Independence: a new project

The blog would indicate I've been dong very little hobbying since March of this year but it hasn't felt that way. True, my painting output is down this year but I do have something to show for the last few months. I have started on a new project, inspired by Boot Hill Miniatures Texas War of Independence figure range. And the painting of these lovely figures has been considerably slowed by the decision to build this monstrosity from Sarissa Precision...

Still much to do on the Mission.... sanding the plaster, base-coating, dry-brushing, ground texture, etc.

Although the Mission has taken up much of my time, I was able to get on a bit of a painting roll and get the first 100 figures of the collection finished.

Mexican Permanente infantry, two groups and two Big men for Sharp Practice.
Boot Hill Miniatures.

Mexican Activo infantry.
Boot Hill Miniatures.

Mexican Zapadores (sappers).
Boot Hill Miniatures.

Mexican light infantry with Baker rifles.
Boot Hill Miniatures.

New Orleans Greys... cuz, well... they're from NO and wear grey uniforms.
Artizan Designs.

Alabama Red Rovers.
Boot Hill Miniatures.

Texian skirmishers.
Artizan Designs.