Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Relief at last!

Whew! I've got that familiar feeling of relief again. I've slogged my way through the last 10 figures of les Grenadiers à Cheval Boursin, bringing this cavalry unit up to 28 figures. While it looks very cool as a massed unit on the table, it has been a bit of a struggle for me to finish it. Besides my general lack of painting time and energy lately, I frankly just became tired of painting the same figure over and over. Not sure why this was the case with this unit. I was able to crank out 40+ of the same figure for my first ImagiNation infantry unit in record time without the same painting ennui. I think I'll take a break from cavalry for a while and concentrate on more infantry and guns. Next up, in fact, are some limbers for the battalion guns of Régiment d'Infanterie Roquefort and an ammunition wagon to supply them. After that, more Grenadiers de Camembert (in their sweet violet uniforms), then for something completely different, the WWI Russian Baltic fleet (not in 28mm, of course...though that would be mighty impressive).



Two views of the premier cavalry regiment of Le Grand-Duché de Gourmandie, les Grenadiers à Cheval Boursin (28 figures strong). 

This unit consists of three squadrons, each with its own distinctive facing colour. The newest addition is 3e Escadron on the right of the regimental line (left side of the photo) in the violet facings. Out front is the command party led by Colonel Georges LeRoque, Comte de Villenveulle in his distinctive bronzed cuirass. His stand-off nature does little to endear him to his men, down upon whom he looks with disdain. This is is in stark contrast to the commander of 1er Escadron, Chef d'Escadron Phillipe Langeron (in the front rank, to the farthest right in the picture), a charismatic and popular man (except with his fellow high-born officers).

1 comment:

  1. I was overjoyed to find that the French 7YW practice was to take squadrons from different regiments into the smaller actions to "spread the risk", so I have continued the practice and paint squadrons of different Regiments in both my French "Corps du Vin" and my Imagi-Nation.

    ReplyDelete