Monday, February 8, 2021

Napoleonic odds & ends

I've been puttering away the last couple of weeks on some various Napoleonic odds & ends as I wait for a new order to replenish/increase the lead pile. You can see pics below but in the meanwhile...

I finally pulled the trigger on a new project and ordered some Late Saxons from Crusader Miniatures. If planned correctly, this will be only one third of a 1066ish collection, also to include Normans and Vikings. But let's see how the Saxons get on first...

My prevarications over the last couple of months about whether to start a new project in 2021 was summed up rather nicely, if vaguely inappropriately, by a conversation with Michael...

me: "I pulled the trigger on a Crusader Miniatures Saxon force"

Michael: "thought you weren't ready to commit?"

me: "yeah, I know, it's only 54 figures"

Michael: "that's like saying it's only one date but you like the girl, it's gonna go places"

me: "depends on how good she is"

Michael: "you have been admiring her from afar for a while so..."

And enough of that. On to the new Napoleonic tidbits...

Pierre Ducos, from the Sharpe series.
(Brigade Games)
I realize clearly from this photo how the contrast painting method looks up close with crap photography. The technique really does look much better in "the real."

British Engineering or Exploring officer... cuz, why not?
(Brigade Games)


 While checking my tracking spreadsheets, I was surprised to see I had not completed any Deployment Point vignettes for my Sharp Practice US War of 1812 force (despite the fact I had already completed 300+ figures for the army). Rummaging about in the spares box, I found some Old Glory US Rifles figures that seem to work well.


I also found a few leftover Old Glory US regulars infantry figures and topped them off with  a Flags of Wars flag.


I found quite a few of these Old Glory figures in the stash as well. I have used these in the past for generic militia rifles, intended to represent New York or Pennsylvania units. This time I decided to paint them as intended by the Old Glory packing label... Kentucky Rifles (in their distinctive black hunting shirts with red trim). This is the second (or third?) iteration of Kentucky militia in my wargaming life (and using the same OG figures!).

Last but not least, King's German Legion light infantry for Peninsular War gaming. These must have been an add-on to a Warlord Games order to get it over the free shipping threshold. Lovely figures but definitely a "one-off" for my British collection.



No comments:

Post a Comment